Watermelon Salad with Feta and Olives
If you are looking for new ways to enjoy watermelon, this recipe fits the bill! Watermelon is widely available and enjoyed on its own, but combining it with savory ingredients like feta cheese, olives and red onions transforms it into a complex and delicious salad.
Despite its sweet taste, watermelon is surprisingly low in carbohydrates – thanks to its high fluid content. It provides a good source of skin-enhancing vitamin C and is rich in potassium, an electrolyte that is critical in maintaining proper blood pressure. Additionally, watermelon is a better source of lycopene than tomatoes. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant which helps protect cells from damage.
This salad is simultaneously refreshing and satisfying. The contrast of sweet and salty flavors mingled with complexity from the herbs and a hit a citrus, makes for a winning combination. It’s the perfect way to round out a summer meal!
Watermelon Salad with Feta & Olives
- 1 small "baby" watermelon or 1/2 medium watermelon, sliced and cubed – approximately 8 cups cubed
- 1 cup crumbled feta (8 oz. container)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup calamata olives (or other greek olive), pitted and sliced
- 3 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced -approximately 2-3 Tbsp
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cubed watermelon, feta, olives, onions and herbs. Toss lightly to combine.
- In a small bowl, wisk together lime juice, vinegar, honey, olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over watermelon mixture, tossing gently.
- Refrigerate salad for 30-60 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Salad is best served within 8 hours of preparation.