Thick and frosty, yet loaded with warm spices that make you crave the holidays – this high protein smoothie is a snap to make and will shake up your smoothie routine!
Multiple protein sources, including greek yogurt, protein powder and almond butter make for a filling breakfast with staying power or a perfect post-workout option. Depending on your yogurt and protein powder choices the protein range is approximately 20-25 grams per serving – the higher end using greek yogurt and a 24 grams per scoop protein powder. (The recipe yields two servings.)
Freezing your banana ahead of time lends a creamy texture and makes the banana flavor more subtle so it does not overpower the pumpkin flavor – all while providing natural sweetness, a dose of potassium and several grams of fiber.
A splash of orange juice enhances the Vitamin C content and is an excellent complement to the ginger flavor. It’s a subtle addition that helps to boost both the nutritional and flavor profile.
So break out your baking spices and whip up this creamy concoction. It’s the perfect way to ease into the holiday season with health and good cheer!
- small handful ice
- 5 oz container low sugar vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger approx 1/2" nub of ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash ground cloves
- dash nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup oat or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup optional
- Add ice to high speed blender and process ice to crush it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender and process on high until smooth and frothy.
- Top with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg and serve immediately.