Strawberry Caprese salad with balsamic glaze
This simple salad is a celebration of the classic combination of sweet, slightly acidic fruit (traditionally tomatoes, but here strawberries) combined with creamy, fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil. To marry and highlight the flavors, a touch of best quality olive oil and a generous drizzle of tangy balsamic glaze complete the party. When nestled on a bed of peppery arugula, this combination of flavors and colors is elevated from simple toss together salad to elegant addition to a dinner party, picnic or buffet.
Considered a superfood, strawberries are little nutritional powerhouses. At once beautiful and tasty with almost universal appeal (they are the most popular berry in the world), they also pack a punch when it comes to vitamins, phytonutrients and fiber.
A serving of 8 medium berries, provides more than the daily RDI of Vitamin C. This same serving size weighs in at less than 35 calories, offers 2 grams of fiber and a healthy dose of potassium – an important element for maintaining healthy blood pressure. Strawberries are also packed with beneficial plant compounds called antioxidants which help protect the body from the effects of stress.
A twist on traditional….
Strawberries pair beautifully with creamy cheeses – not a far cry from their classic combination with cream or cream cheese (think cheesecake with strawberries). And their natural acidity mimics the acidity in tomatoes, making them an unusual but fitting substitution for tomatoes in this classic combination. Give this easy salad a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Strawberry Caprese Salad
- 1 lb. strawberries, quartered or sliced thin
- 8 oz small mozzerella balls (bocconcini), cut in half (approximately 1.5 cups)
- 4-5 basil leaves, rolled and sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp flavorful (extra virgin) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic glaze – purchased or homemade, see note below
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- Combine strawberries, mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle lighlty with salt and pepper and toss gently to coat.
- Scatter arugula on a platter or large plate. Distribute strawberry salad evenly over arugula and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately or cover lightly and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.